Voting

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy Early Birthday, Elvis!

I know it's early...I know his birthday is January 8th! However...I'm dedicating this post to my mom! 
And I can't wait for her to see it!!!


Graceland....I remember it well!!!


Ok....Well it's certainly not "Tara" from Gone With the Wind but it certainly did suffice for my longings of fame and stardom whenever we would go "home" to Memphis!  I had heard countless stories from my parents since they literally grew up just around the corner from Graceland. Needless to say... I'm an Elvis fan from birth...and yes, I cried the day he died.


                            Here in lies the proof of my heritage...so to speak!!


 Not only was my Uncle Ricky in Elvis' brother's wedding....not only did my mother sneak and peak over the fence at Priscilla and Elvis and lord knows who else when she was in high school....she toted ME along with her long after I was born!!! Here we are....on the front cover of a Memphis magazine way back when...Yep....that's me!  The 4 year old little girl with blonde hair being HELD by my beautiful mom gazing up at the King Himself on his horse!! (Just look at her stylish orange coat and fabulous scarf!!)  My mother has always said I wanted to carried until I was in the first grade!  Now I believe her! Anyway...moving right along....as a celebration of Elvis' birthday I thought I would share with you the recipe that was made famous I thought by my family!  Good heavens...we ate there EVERY time we went back to Memphis to visit and looked forward to it!  It was where my parents grew up going on their dates when they were "young"!


Later, I was informed... that in reality...this pizza was made famous by Elvis Presley...Food Connoisseur!
I hope you try making it and that you love it at least half as much as I do!! It is certainly worth the effort!



Ingredients

Dough:

Coletta's Barbecue Sauce:

  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup tomato puree
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 1/3 cup sliced onions
  • 1/6 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 6 ounces water

Toppings:

  • 2 cups barbecue sauce
  • 12 ounces low-moisture, part skim shredded mozzarella (recommended: Wisconsin)
  • 2 ounces pasteurized process shredded Cheddar (recommended: Wisconsin)
  • 1 1/4 pounds barbecue meat (cooked and chopped pork shoulder), heated ( I used meat from Miss Myra's )

Directions

To Make Dough: Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of flour. Add the yeast mixture, oil and 3/4 cup of water. Stir and mix with a wooden spoon until a rough ball of dough is formed and dough cleans the sides of bowl. Turn dough out of bowl onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead dough for 7 to 8 minutes until it is smooth and satiny (dust dough with flour if it feels sticky). Dust a large mixing bowl lightly with flour. Place dough in bowl; cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Put dough in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2 hours, until double in bulk.
After dough has doubled in bulk, punch down and turn out of bowl onto work surface. Knead lightly for about 2 minutes. Roll or stretch dough into a circle that is 16 inches in diameter and about 1/4-inch thick. Place dough in a 16-inch flat pizza pan. Cover dough with a clean towel and let rise a second time for about 45 minutes before adding toppings.
To Make Barbecue Sauce: Combine all barbecue sauce ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat. Strain outcloves and onions. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to use. Sauce can be made 1 or 2 days ahead. Makes 2 cups of sauce.
To Assemble Pizza: Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Spread 1/3 of barbecue sauce evenly over dough to within 1/2 inch of edge. Mix the mozzarella andcheddar cheese and sprinkle them over the sauce. Bake pizza for about 10 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Remove pizza from oven and spread barbecue meat over the cheese. Add remaining barbecue sauce evenly over meat. Serve at once.
Let me know how you liked it! I promise you won't be disappointed!
For now...sit back and enjoy the music! Hopefully while you eat your Coletta's Barbecue Pizza!


Mom....these are for you! I love you and I cherish the memories! Next we will talk about Tom Jones and the airport!!!

Return To Sender
and my personal, all time favorite that I used to practice in my room when I was suppose to be studying....

Don't Be Cruel

Ok...enough already, right?!  Hope you enjoyed a trip down my memory lane! But for now....ELVIS HAS DEFINITELY LEFT THE BUILDING!

5 comments:

  1. Carolyn, I love you, too, and I loved this. What a great time we always had making those memories!!! How I do miss that. But, I have another story that I love and it was the time your dad and I went to Las Vegas to see Elvis and ran into his doctor, whom your dad knew from training and he gave us tickets to Elvis' show and our seats were at the table by the stage. Wow, that was fun!!!! Yes, we did go to the airport to see Tom Jones come to Memphis for a concert. I have the pictures to prove that, too. Thanks again for the memories!!! All my love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this!!! The famous picture :) And praise the Lord above I now have that recipe! Best thing EVER!! Just wish I'd had it sooner, I made pizza for dinner and it wasn't very good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you might like this, Mom! Can't wait to hear the Tom Jones music! I'm actually working on something pretty big and just needed this fun break! Holly, come home to mommy and I will make you the pizza!! Just kidding!!! You always make great pizza and I promise when dad gets home from Miller's game I'm sending you the recipe I told you about!
    Love you both more than life itself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anything better than Elvis and Tom Jones?! So many stories to tell about both! However, you know how I feel about Tom Jones!! That was what I did for my last "mile-marker" birthday in Las Vegas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS- y'all would LOVE the Elvis Cirque de Solei in Las Vegas!!!

    ReplyDelete