Voting

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Paleo Or Not…This Is Divine! Chicken Cacciatore Over Spaghetti Squash!


I hope the fact that this is somewhat Paleo will not turn people off…this is another Paleo recipe that I am in love with and would make as a regular dinner!  I've posted a similar recipe before but I really like this one better! I think the key is the Spaghetti Squash! I never knew I loved it like this until about 6 months ago! It's one of the easiest things to keep on hand…just re-heat it in the microwave and you are good to go with any sauce you feel like placing on top of it! You can see my other post on how to cook the squash HERE!


First, I just slightly browned my boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a tablespoon of Coconut Oil. 
I used 6 boneless, skinless breasts for this recipe.


"Of course" I had already cut up my veggies! I have to! If I think I have to do all of this when I'm actually preparing the dish it just totally freaks me out! I like my cooking done ahead and that means thinking ahead! So, I cut up my carrots, celery, green bell pepper, garlic and onions ahead of time!


Then I sautéed them in the same pan that I had browned my chicken in! 
That made for an easier clean up!
At the last minute I added the mushrooms so they wouldn't overcook.


Then I placed the browned chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker that I had sprayed with Pam.
 I topped it off with the slightly sautéed veggies. 


Also in the same pan, I added my 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, onion salt, white pepper, kosher salt, etc….any and all seasonings that sounded good to me! Oh…and of course 3-4 bay leaves!


Then I poured that sauce on top of the chicken and veggies in the slow cooker and put it to bed in the refrigerator for the night. The next morning, I brought it out and turned it on! It was Grandparent's Day at Layton's school so I needed this baby to be cooking away while I was gone! I had also already cooked my spaghetti squash and had it ready in a dish to re-heat when I was ready to top it off with this yummy Chicken Cacciatore!


See! It's that simple!!! You cook it in the oven….you shred it and your forget about it! Until you are ready to use it! I love it!


And there you have it! A wonderful, tasty and healthy dinner that will last you for at least 2 nights if you are empty nesters like us! ( Actually, it lasts us 3 nights but I just can't eat something 3 nights in a row!) You can certainly freeze the leftovers if you wish!


To top it off…we had my favorite salad….baby romaine mix, strawberries, mandarin oranges, bleu cheese and candied almonds…topped off with my most FAVORITE dressing! Don't think it's Paleo but I am 100% positive you won't find or make a better salad dressing!!! LOVE THIS!! I used to buy this in a local clothing store! That's how it started out! Now, it's in our local grocery stores and I'm sure you can order it! Trust me on this one…it is definitely worth it!!



Hope y'all will give this recipe a try! And don't be afraid of cooking Spaghetti Squash if you don't cook much…it really is super easy! Let me know if you have any questions! 
Take care and have a wonderful week!


Chicken Cacciatore over Spaghetti Squash
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cleaned
1-2 T Coconut Oil
kosher salt and pepper to taste
3 ribs celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 onion diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms, rinsed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2-1 C white wine
1-2 t dried oregano and dried basil and dried Thyme
Garlic salt to taste
onion powder to taste
dash cayenne pepper
a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes
3 bay leaves
brown chicken breasts in the oil. Remove and place in slow cooker sprayed with Pam. Saute' the veggies for about 5-10 minutes and then add the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes and then pour on top of the chicken. Add the rest of the ingredients to that same pan and let simmer for a few minutes. Pour over all in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 8-9 hours. Before serving thicken sauce if desired. I used some Wondra flour with some white wine and added it to the slow cooker….I turned it on high for a few minutes until I thought it was done. I served it over the Spaghetti Squash but it is also fabulous over angel hair pasta! 





1 comment:

  1. This is a keeper!! We probably won't be on Paleo, but we will be eating healthy, so this is great!!
    Thanks for sharing, Carolyn.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete