Voting

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

We Call It March Madness For A Reason!


Let me make your day by sharing one of the dishes we had last night at the "Birthday Party" for my mother and granddaughter. It is truly sinful and oh…so…good!
 And being that I have my annual check up and have to weigh in tomorrow…let's just say…I'm not having any of these leftovers tonight! 


My sweet husband grated all of the cheeses for me!
Yes, there are three different and equally wonderful types of cheese to make this truly the perfect macaroni and cheese as Martha so aptly has named it!
(notice the cute little dish I went ahead and put all of my seasonings into? I felt so Rachael Ray-ish! or should I say Martha-ish?)


When I first poured it into the casserole dish I have to admit it was hard to not just make myself a plate of it right then and there!
But I didn't….I just took a few bites…no one the wiser!
Shhhhh! 


Then, I topped it off with MORE cheese and the homemade breadcrumbs before sticking it in the oven! The house smelled amazing as it cooked!


While it cooked it was time for the details…those little touches that make it feel like a party!


Not one of my better table settings but for a family gathering it was just fine!


And then….there was this! This delectable, deliciously fabulous Macaroni and Cheese!


And then there was this…the family gathered…well, most of us…(we missed Miller, Will, Holly, Brad and my brother's family) to celebrate my precious mother and granddaughter! What a blessing!   Even though our March is FULL of birthdays we really do enjoy getting together and celebrating…but the madness does exist! (There are 6 March birthdays all in a row)
I wouldn't trade my family for anything so I pray we never get tired of each other. 
It's so important to keep families together and create traditions that your children can grow up with! 
I hope you will give this recipe a try. I have to admit my mom just left from getting some of the leftovers for their dinner tonight! That's the proof in the pudding as they say!
 Especially if you knew just how good of a cook my mother is! 
Hope you enjoy!


The Perfect Macaroni and Cheese

6 slices white bread, crusts removed
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 lb. dried macaroni noodles, cooked according to package
5 1/2 Cups whole milk, warmed
1/2 Cup flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 Cups shredded sharp white cheddar (Cabot)
6-8 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
1 1/2 Cups shredded Pecornio-Romano cheese
1 1/2 C mixed cheeses to top with

*in a food processor blend the bread slices until all crumbs. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and drizzle over the breadcrumbs. Set aside. Heat milk but do not boil. Melt the remaining butter…when it is sizzling slowly blend in the flour and cook for about a minute. Whisking the entire time.  Slowly whisk in the heated milk and stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Add the salt and the peppers. Whisk well. Add in the cheeses until completely blended and then pour in the hot macaroni noodles. Pour into a greased 3 quart casserole dish. Top with about 1 1/2 Cups of any of the 3 cheese are some of all of them, which is what I did. Add the bread crumbs and bake covered for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove foil and cook until bread crumbs are browned to desired likeness. Would be good topped with Truffle oil if you like it!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just have to let you know how much I enjoy your blog and reading about your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, three different cheeses; I love it. I am copying this recipe to try. Thank you for sharing. ~M

    ReplyDelete