Voting

Monday, March 26, 2012

You are a Lone Reed

Sometimes I truly question why I do "What" I do...Especially this last month....


While watching "You've Got Mail"...I always hear myself in every one of Meg Ryan's lines in that movie!



"What is it that I do exactly"? "All I really do is run a store"! ( of course this is Meg answering her own questions!)
"You are a Lone Reed" was the answer she received..... from her boyfriend.
"I am a lone reed...I am a lone reed".....
and Meg ponders.....
"Sometimes I wonder about my life..it's valuable, but small...do I do it because I like it or because I'm brave? Sometimes I want to throw that question out there...but who am I sending it to? She said to a cosmic void...


As much as I love this movie..and for as many times that I've watched it and quoted it...I'm so very thankful that indeed...there is nothing cosmic or void about it nor is there anything small about what I do!



I often have these exact same thoughts and at times let it get the best of me! The most recent example is me being quite worried about my own life and how I've spent it! Not too long ago a customer innocently made the remark about how she couldn't believe that someone would start working while she still had young children! Of course my heart and soul cringed within and sweet Pattie assured me that I had not neglected my children, especially my youngest.
Why I felt the need to compare myself to this person my customer was referring to is beyond me! But I do, and I did! It's quite impossible not to! I try way too hard to be everything to everybody and as of today...am realizing I can't do it! I'm only responsible to God, my husband and my family and myself. Why I make myself go through these "hoops" that I create in my own mind is ridiculous!


While fretting over my youngest son Miller on his spring break mission's trip...I've come to some pretty major...and yet very simple conclusions about life!


Number one being...If I say that I love the Lord with all of my heart  then I can rest assured that all that I do will fall into place if I'm truly seeking His will!


Secondly, there is nothing I can do to change what God has already planned for  my life...therefore, I need to quit worrying and fretting! That is very freeing to me!


Thirdly...all of this falls under a "vague" but real category in most of our lives..
I hit highs and lows as all of us do...that makes me real and it makes you real...I need to quit second guessing that! I just read an incredible book by Terri Blackstock that ended with this paragraph and I fell in love with it! I hope it will touch your heart as it did mine!
Talking about highs and lows in the writing life she says,


 " It's a roller coaster, that's the writing life! I love that roller coaster. It's the ride God gave me, and doing it for the Kingdom of God is a privilege. Theres a ride for you, as well, one that He chose for you before the foundation of the world. I hope you're on it!"


John 15:8 "My father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples."


Find your gift and use it. Then enjoy the ride!


I don't know about you, but this just inspired me to make my ride really count! 


Much love,



2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, I feel the same way about that movie and some of those lines! :-) Also, maybe it's our age, but I think we are all reevaluating our lives as we launch our children (our main mission) and figure out if we continue on in our personal lives as before or make drastic changes as our nest empties. Truly a wonderful post. Have a blessed Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy…thank you for your sweet comment and for caring! LOL! You are so right…we are definitely reevaluating and trying to make since of this new phase in life! I know it will be great…but I'm not sure I'm loving ALL of the changes! Most of them, Yes!!! And God will make the other ones work…in His time! We can definitely count on that promise! You are a sweet friend and I'm praying for your family as well!

      Delete