Voting

Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Sweetest Things Sunday, Old Fashioned Banana Pudding

It just doesn't get much better than yesterday!
I know that might sound a bit odd to some when the first part of the day we attended a funeral!
But this was not an ordinary funeral service by any stretch of the imagination!
It was a glorious, praise-worthy service! I've truly never attended a funeral service like that! I left feeling refreshed! Not sad! We sang songs and didn't cry! We enjoyed what we were hearing from the precious grandchildren that shared what their grandaddy had meant to them and we all left feeling blessed and WE felt comforted!
 What a legacy! What a true legacy!!
What a blessing Sam and Mary Glynn Peeples have been to us through so many years!
I know yesterday I shared the Key Lime Pie recipe with you that was served at the lunch for the family before the funeral and today I will share the Banana Pudding recipe. It's an old timey favorite that I will never get tired of!


And then to end the day, we were off again for an entirely different kind of service!
It was  my precious friend's wedding for her oldest son, Gil. My friend that I can truthfully say I do not have any memories that she is not in! Wonderful memories of fun filled days and long nights spent talking and dreaming! …we share so many memories from our Jr. High and High School years and now we have sons that are also the best of friends! That to me is just an added bonus that God saw fit to give us!
I'm very thankful for all that we got to experience yesterday and for the years of friendship we've had with Sam and Mary Glynn and their family




as well as for the friendship of the Towne's family! Here is a shot of Jim and Tim as the chaperones for the senior trip last week for our boys and their group of friends!


Old Fashioned Banana Pudding



For the pudding:
2/3 C flour
1 1/3 C sugar
1/4-1/2 t salt
4 C whole milk ( scalded)
6 slightly beaten egg yolks
1/4 C butter
1 1/2 t vanilla or more
5-6 ripe bananas
1 box Nilla Wafer cookies
Whipped Cream 
Mix the flour, sugar and salt together in a heavy dutch oven or sauce pan. Gradually add the scalded milk ( milk that has been heated but not boiled!)
whisking constantly until thickened and then let it boil gently while stirring for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the egg yolks that have been tempered with a little of the hot custard mixture. Return to heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the butter and the vanilla.
In a trifle bowl or a 9 x 13 pyrex dish put a small amount of the custard on the bottom. Next layer the following: 1/3 vanilla wafer cookies, 1/3 of the sliced bananas, 1/3 of the custard mixture. Repeat the layers ending with the custard on top. Top with sweetened whipped cream or merengue. Let chill for at least 4 hours before serving.


Have a wonderful Sunday and I hope you will try the banana pudding recipe when you can!



1 comment:

  1. You are killing me, Carolyn! This looks wonderful!
    No one loves banana pudding more that I do!
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete