WOW!! That was a humbling statement in my devotional today!!! especially when it went on to describe every aspect of my deceitful heart!! I wonder...just how DID this author know me so well?? or..is it possible that alot of us are like this? I certainly hope so for my sake!! Otherwise...I am on my own dessert island!!! with no life raft...no paddle...no way out!!!!
Thankfully, we know that isn't true as long as we have Christ in our lives...and we know for a fact that He lives in our hearts and is completely capable of overriding the sin issues we face...the sin that we've encountered and the doubts that sometimes creep ever so silently into our souls.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a says "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things,endures all things.
in fact....I think I will just show you exactly how John MacArthur put it!! it sure helped me!!!!
"Paul painted a portrait of the kind of love Jesus wants to produce in every believer. It is, in fact, a portrait of Christ Himself, who is love's highest expression. Unlike most English translations, which include several adjectives, the Greek forms of all those properties are verbs. They do not focus on what love is so much as on what love does and does not do.
Set against the backdrop of the Corinthians' self- promoting behavior, Paul's words are a strong rebuke. He says in effect, "Love is patient, but you are impatient. Love is kind, but you are unkind toward those who disagree with you. Love is not jealous, but you envy those with certain spiritual gifts. Love does not brag, but you are proud of your theology. Love is not arrogant and does not act unbecomingly, but often you are rude and ill-mannered toward one another.
"Love does not seek its own, but you are self-centered. Love is not provoked, but you quarrel among yourselves. Love does not take into account a wrong suffered, but you hold grudges against each other. Love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but you delight in one another's failures. Love rejoices with the truth, but you distort and disobey God's Word.
"Love bears all things, but you are defensive and resentful. Love is eager to believe the best about someone, but you are quick to assume the worst. Love never gives up and can tolerate incredible opposition, but you are weak and intolerant."
Paul wanted the Corinthians to see the deficiencies in their love in light of the truth and make the needed corrections. You and I must do the same. So as we explore each of love's characteristics, ask the Holy Spirit to purify your heart so others will clearly see Paul's portrait of love on display in you."
oh wow....did this ever paint a picture of me in every day life!!! A bit humbling, I will certainly admit! but my heart was glad to see it...in writing..somehow that helps me realize just what I need to change and where I need to change!!! pretty much...it always ends up being a heart issue!!! if I would keep my heart with ALL diligence...I would be in alot better shape! I'm ever so grateful for the reminders that point me back to Him....if not for Him...it wouldn't just be a heart issue...it would be a life or death issue. And that my friends....is what it's all about!!!
Proverbs 4:23...
Keep thy heart with all diligence...for out of it are the issues of life.



I LOVED this mom. What a great devotional! I love you so much!
ReplyDeleteyou know I love you more....more than ALL the rice in china!!! God used this to speak to my heart and I'm so very glad!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis happens to be one of my favorite topics ever! In 9th grade, my French teacher, who was also our homeroom teacher, had us memorize the full chapter of 1 Cor. 13, and it has truly been one of the most important things I took away from Trinity. The verses always seem to pop into my head when I'm showing the opposite of what those verses describe-- exactly like that devotion says!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, as always!
Angela
P.S. "All the rice in China" is one of my favorite phrases ever, too!
Thank you, Angela! That means the world to me that you would even care to read this! I so love talking to girls your age...and my daughter's age and seeing where their hearts are!! I appreciate your sweet comments and pray that those verses will always stay in your heart! Hope to see you soon!!!
ReplyDeletelove always,
carolyn