Ok….I know this is another tomato pie recipe and that I've posted a few before,
but I must say this one was definitely good enough to deserve it's own post!
And besides that, I've never shown how to peel tomatoes the super easy way! So I thought if you don't know about it already that now you will!
My mother in law showed me this years ago and it works so well and it's fool proof!
All you do is drop the tomato into a pot of boiling water and let it sit for about 30-50 seconds!
Take it out with a slotted spoon, let it cool for a second and thin cut a thin slice and peel away!
The peeling will literally just pull off with your fingers!
And just look at how pretty they look once they are peeled! Now you are ready to slice away!
Another thing I did differently this time was to make this tomato pie in a tart pan with a removable bottom and I must say I will always do it this way for this type of tomato pie from now on!
It was a huge hit and very easy to remove from the pan!
Here it is layered with the cheese, diced onion, fresh basil and pepper to taste
Then it's topped with the fresh, peeled, sliced tomatoes!
I'ts put in the oven with the kosher salt and olive oil drizzled on top!
And it's ready! I added a little extra parmesan cheese to the top a few minutes before it was through baking!
Tomato Tart
1 pillsbury ready to bake pie crust
3-4 large, ripe tomatoes
1-1 1/2 C shredded parmesan cheese
1-1 1/2 C shredded swiss cheese
1 C shredded Vermont sharp white cheddar cheese
2 T chopped, fresh basil
pepper to taste
1/4 small onion diced
2 T olive oil
kosher salt to taste
Unroll pie crust and fit in tart pan that has been sprayed with pam. Top with the cheeses, onion, pepper and fresh basil. Place tomato slices over all, overlapping a little and filling in gaps where needed. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle the kosher salt over the top. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and add a little more parmesan cheese and return to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes unless it's getting too brown. Let sit for about 5 minutes before removing the outer part of the tart pan. Slice individual servings. Serves 6-8 slices.
Hope you are having a great week so far!











THIS IS A KEEPER, CAROLYN! I love tomatoes. You heirlooms are gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteIs there anything better? I think not.
Happy Tuesday.
Teresa
xoxo
Mrs. Scott taught me about that tomatoe peeling method too. We used it to can tomatoes. Don't do that now. If I have extras they go in the freezer but popping those peels is still the BEST.
ReplyDelete