Voting

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grilled Reuben Hot Dogs! Yummy!!


 I was raised on good cooking!! My mom is definitely the very best cook I know!! ( Besides my precious Mother in law!!) they are alot alike in that they love to have their family together and they love to cook really good meals when we are ALL  together!! That is getting harder and harder to do these days but I pledge to my family to keep that tradition going!!! Birthdays, Holidays and just plain old anyday occasions that I feel like we need to be together and EAT together~!!

 Here is a wonderful recipe my mother shared with me for Reuben Hot Dogs! I was reminded of it when I read my "friend" Mary's blog....One Perfect Bite!!! Her recipes are divine...her pictures are gorgeous and her inspirations are ...well--inspirational!!! It is her blog that caused me to think back on this delicious dish!
 Mary posted her perfect hot dog and had MANY a food critic write back that , indeed YES.... Hot Dogs Stand Alone!!! They are blog worthy....food worthy and certainly Super Bowl Food Worthy!!! ( which was the topic of her blog!!! Super Bowl Food!) However...her dogs were anything but ordinary!!! And neither are these!!! I've paired them with Oven Fries....that are almost healthy!!!! Hope you Enjoy!!!!
                                                          Oven Fries
 wash and partially peel 6 small Russet potatoes. Slice into wedges, hunks or whatever shape you want!
Toss in 2 T olive oil: sprinkle liberally with Sea Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a tidge of cayenne pepper...place on greased, rimmed, baking pan....(make sure oven is preheated to 420!) once on baking pan...sprinkle a little paprika on them! Bake 20 minutes at 420....turn once with spatula and bake until browned and done!

 Now on to the topic of this blog!! Reuben Hot dogs!! Grill your hot dogs on the George Foreman if you have one...perfectly divine!!! we use Hebrew Nationals...Low fat if you can find them....

         Here is the Sourkrout recipe....

Saute 1/2 red onion, chopped in 2 t olive oil...add 1 t carraway seeds, saute one minute or so...add 1 small can sourkraut , rinsed and drained. Simmer for a few minutes and add 2 T brown sugar, and 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar. Let simmer 5-10 minutes.  can be made ahead and refrigerated.

 in the meantime, make your Thousand Island Dressing! 1/3 C mayo, several squirts catsup, 1 T or more Worshtershire sauce, a little lemon juice....mix, taste and adjust! Better if made ahead
 To assemble, place grilled hot dogs on buns, top with a good bit of Thousand Island sauce, then the wonderful Reuben Kraut that you've made!!! Enjoy!!!! I promise....even those that don't like kraut, hot dogs or Reubens will like this!!! All of my family did!!! And thats saying something!!! the oven fries were great as well!!!!

3 comments:

  1. mmm these sound great, I really must think what I am going to make for Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe Sourkraut can be spelled so many different ways! LOL!! this really is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful and I certainly will try these. The best part of your post today was the spot where you called me friend. You made my day :-). I hope you have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete