I've never made Hoppin John....in fact....I've actually never thought about it until this year!!! My husband gave me a piece of Columbian Clay cookware and I just couldn't resist making it this year!!!! Here is the recipe...and trust me...it gets better as it sits!!!!
1 lb bag of dried black eyed peas
6 C water
1/2 onion, sliced in chunks
2 heaping teaspoons minced garlic
2 small smoked ham hocks
1 bay leaf
rinse and sort peas....add rest of ingredients and cook uncovered or semi covered for about 2 hours or until almost tender....you don't want peas to be completely done because they still have some cooking to do!!!!
when done, drain peas in a colander and let sit until ready to add to rest of ingredients! Discard bay leaf and onion. Dice ham hocks and add to peas in colander.
Meanwhile
dice....1 medium red bell pepper, 1/2 green bell pepper, 3 celery stalks, 1 large onion. Saute in 2 heaping T olive oil...in fact, put lid on pan and let "sweat" as it sautees! Also.... dice in 1 inch pieces 1 lb smoked sausage. ( I used Oscar Meyer Turkey Sausage because I'm tired of fat!) it was still great! you will add this in a little bit!!
To the veggies in the pan add several slices jalopena peppers, 2 t Creole seasoning, 1/2 t dried thyme leaves, 3/4 t cumin, 3/4 t salt. Stir until coated...add 2 C water...or chicken stock... I used water and it was great! add 1can rotel tomatoes and green chilies...and I C long grain white rice and let simmer until rice is almost tender. Add diced ham, diced sausage and peas..... Let simmer until YOU think its ready! At the end....I felt it was a bit too "dry" so I added 1 can of diced tomatoes...undrained and let cook on very low for about 15 minutes!!! It was perfect at this point!!!!
My whole family loved it!!! which is saying alot!!!! We put grated cheddar cheese on top of each person's portion and it was wonderful! It calls for sliced green onions but its pretty spicy already!!! Enjoy!!! and Happy New Year!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment