The Bible tells us that where your treasure is, there your heart will be also! ( Luke 12:34) In my "old age" I'm finally beginning to learn that I want different things for my "treasures"! As the owner of an antiques shop it used to be very easy to get caught up in all kinds of treasures~if I found the perfect platter or the perfect piece of bamboo furniture....the most beautiful painting or rug...then I had truly found a treasure!!! We sought out every antique show...every market...every buying trip...our goal was to find the "perfect treasure". And rightfully so...we still strive to have the best antiques for our customers, etc... However....my goal is no longer to find something for "Me!" My goal is no longer to win the conquest of who has the best transferware or who has the best...you fill in the blank! Whatever thay may be!!! My GOAL is to work hard, strive to serve our customers and ultimately serve the Lord in the best way possible! My DESIRES have changed as well....my desires used to be so shallow and and superficial...one of my greatest pet peaves!
Years ago we were on a cruise with Jim's family. His sweet dad held a devotion in their "cabin" and asked all of us to share our goals. One by one we told of how we "wanted to lose weight", or "wanted to have better quiet times" or "wanted to begin praying together more" , etc.. In all of Tom's wisdom, he smiled at us and said, " Well those are great desires, but they are not goals!" Of course, Peggy and I rolled our eyes and laughed....and we all think about our answers much more carefully these days!!! ha ha!! but in all seriousness... I have to begun to wonder...when did my desires take over my goals? When did I stop writing down my prayer requests in my journals? When did I stop telling my closest friends my deepest longings and prayer requests? When did worry take over and my ability to trust God get put on the backburner? Is my life too busy?? What do I give up? I don't want to look back and regret anything!
I'm watching my daughter and her husband struggle with patience as they trust God to answer their longings for the store they've interviewed for....I'm watching my son who turns 17 in two days struggle with patience as HE learns patience through sports! I'm watching my oldest son...my first born, struggle with patience as he grows his business...and by gosh he's doing a great job! I'm watching my angel of a daughter in law struggle with patience as she watches Mitch!!! ha ha!! just kidding....had to lighten up a bit!!! but I am watching Britney struggle with patience with herself!! With herself as she decides what is best surgery wise for Layton... I can't even imagine!!!! I'm watching my precious husband struggle with patience as He waits on the Lord to show him what he should do to replace a lost source of income for us..... to show him what to do business wise...where he should go, what he should do.... I'm really praying for patience for me!!! For tomorrow!!! For a new day!!! I need a new day!!! I'm way too stuck in yesterday and in the things that have made me sad!!! They've only made me sad because I let them!!! I forgot what my goals were and I gave into very selfish desires!!!!! I'm praying for patience, mainly for my whole family as they endure me!!! As they endure me learning to Trust God Wholeheartedly!!!! I'm praying that Jim and I never lose our love for each other...that he will always "lasso the moon" for me just as George Bailey did in "Its a Wonderful Life"!
I'm praying that I can atleast half way measure up to Jim in being the spouse that he deserves! That may be the most humbling of prayers I could ever pray because of what a wonderful husband he is. I'm praying that I can trust God with the decisions that are made about where Holly and Brad will end up! If I'm honest, that is weighing so heavily on my heart that I can't really function like I should! and certainly not like God would have me to! If I'm honest, I want Miller to have a wonderful rest of his Jr Year and all of his Sr. year! I wish I knew what was bothering him!!!! If I'm honest...I would take away all of Mitch and Britneys struggles and hardships these past few years!!! But then, guess what???? I wouldn't have Layton!!! I wouldn't have experienced her sitting in my lap...face forward mind you!!!! for about an hour yesterday gazing...and I do mean GAZING into my eyes talking and telling me all about life!!!! Laying her head on my chest and just hugging me because she loves me!!! For nothing that I've done!! In fact...I'm almost surprised she even knows me these days I've been so wrapped up in worry over Holly and Brad and Miller!!! I confess it!!!! But those big blue eyes and those arms wrapped around you!!! well, it almost reminds us of how much God loves us!!! and how blessed we are to have a tomorrow as a new day!!! A day to start fresh....to wake up and set new goals!!! In fact, my only goals tomorrow are to wake up!!! #1...and #2 Thank God that He gave me a new day!!!!
"Yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope. Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail! They are NEW EVERY MORNING!!!! GREAT IS YOUR FAITHFULNESS!!!!!!" Lamentations 3: 21-23
No comments:
Post a Comment